Tuesday, October 18, 2011

where's your bus ticket?

For our first weekend adventure, I gathered some friends for a day trip to Segovia. We woke up later than planned, stood first in line for the bus only to discover we needed to buy our ticket BEFORE getting in line, lost our place in line and had to take a later bus... BUT we got there and that was all that mattered. I went with a roommate, the other English tutor (auxiliar) and one of the schools I work at and the other English tutor (auxiliar) at the other school where I work. We had so much fun exploring this quaint little city and laughed throughout the entire day.

I mean, the aqueduct isn't really that impressive. C'mon.
At the Palace- with my roommate. Apparently Disney used this alcazar as the model for Cinderella's Castle

How great is this door knocker?
Aw, our little group! (The palace terrace)
This INCREDIBLE desert that was the strangest and most distinct thing I've ever tasted. Very famous in Segovia- a mix of lemon, cinnamon and marzapan. We split a portion no bigger than a regular cupcake amongst the four of us and still had trouble finishing it- it was that rich. 

The glorious Cathedral.

Walking out of Segovia. The aqueduct in all of its glory. Absolutely stunning. 

Exhausted from walking all over, I came home, ate dinner with the flatmates and crawled into bed in my sweatpants to watch Alabama destroy Ole Miss. When we were down by 7, I caved and paid 20 euros for a instant-watch subscription for a month. It was live TV so I was totally "at home." This week has gotten off to a rough start with my classes, but more on this for the next post! Hope you enjoyed the photos. More to come, I promise. In the mean time, check out this link to a project I am passionate about. I will be finishing my letters tomorrow and I would be thrilled if you would join me in reaching this goal to put a handwritten letter in the hand of every male and female in service this Thanksgiving.

The letters are due to be in the mail by October 28th. I realize that this is not much time but maybe this will encourage you to do it right now instead of putting it on a list and never getting around to it. I hope that you feel inspired by this cause to write at least one letter and perhaps more. Please pass this site, information and idea onto friends and family around the globe. I am encouraging many friends to participate and it is my hope that you will too. I have two friends who will be leaving for Afghanistan very shortly and I can only imagine that five minutes out of your day will mean SO MUCH to them and to their fellow soldiers.
The link to everything you need to know is here: http://thebertshow.com/the-bert-shows-big-thank-you/

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment