Thursday, October 13, 2011

we have to become a family

Stephanie Makes Friends Part 1: Her roommates.
After five days of living here and never seeing one of my roommates from Brazil and only ever interacting with another roommate briefly, two days ago 3/5 of us had a lovely intense bonding session. I learned there is no exact translation for the word, "bonding" in Spanish which is a shame because that's exactly what occurred. One of the girls is moving out. She is quiet, keeps to herself, wakes up around 7 am every morning and goes to bed early. I'm not entirely positive where she is from but she doesn't really chat much other than a "hola" or "luego" if you happen to pass her.
The Argentinian girl is great. She is studying Social Education and planning to live in Madrid for three years. She claims she is a great cook and that she will cook for everyone many nights. I told her, that sounds great! She can teach me how to cook and I'll buy a bottle of Rioja. The Brazilian joined in that he will contribute by teaching us Portuguese. He is incredibly nice and funny. He's 26, has a serious girlfriend back in Brazil and is a lawyer getting his masters here in Intellectual Property Law. I can tell that he is incredibly smart because whenever Candy (the Argentinian) teaches us a word in Spanish, he knows it- even several days later. We all chatted about our new lives in Madrid and in the apartment, how we have plans to travel and made deals on what to buy and share in the kitchen and bathroom.
Again, I cannot stress how incredibly blessed I feel. So far so good, I was randomly placed with really awesome people. Gabriel was telling us that the first two days he lived in the apartment by himself and then he met our Italian roommate who is 33. He works at the Italian restaurant that is next door to our building. Italgo's room is the one that is closest to mine. Other than the fact that he works until late in the night and isn't exactly mouse-like when he comes home and that when I am up early in the morning to go to the school, I can hear him snoring through the walls, he seems like a cool guy. He is literally NEVER here. Gabriel told us girls that we have to become a family since our families are so far away. He's got a movie night lined up already for tomorrow night.
I'm working on my law school applications and also trying to plan out when I am going to take a few trips. I have a nice holiday coming up at the end of October so I am looking forward to spending a few days somewhere exciting. Not that Madrid isn't exciting...
Everyday two, three or four times a day, the landlord comes by showing some prospective roommate the apartment, the bathroom and our kitchen. It's pretty obnoxious so hopefully someone really great will move in ASAP and complete our new little family. Though it was not at all my preference or my desire to live with boys, so far it hasn't been much of a problem. It's incredibly common here when the location is good and rent is cheap. It's awesome to be settled somewhere and I have fixed utilities so I just have to worry about paying rent each month. The location of this apartment is awesome and I am learning new things about the area everyday. With the help of sharing tips with the roommates, I am finding the cheapest supermarket, the absolute quickest routes to and from metro stations, etc. One thing at a time!
Today, when I woke up to get ready for school, it was 52 degrees outside but the high for today was 89. I was wearing short sleeves and jeans and sweating when I was walking around the city this afternoon. Looking forward to cooler weather, NOT looking forward to snow in those mountains.
I don't have to go to school on Fridays, so I am done for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment