Sunday, October 23, 2011

by the hair on our skinny chin chins

Friday, I had the opportunity to go with a group of students to a nearby town called El Escorial. There is a huge monastery/palace there from King Phillip- the most powerful man in all of Spain's History. He led the Inquisition from the rooms that I walked through. The palace was HUGE and very impressive in every detail- like wooden doors handmade from 100 different kinds of wood and paintings by famous artists in each room. Ryan (the other auxiliar at JF) and I were talking to each other in English the whole time, guilty of not paying much attention to the guide and guilty of not interacting much with the students. It was a group of Bulgarians who are in Collado Villalba for a student exchange. Ryan and I barely managed to find the group in the first place that morning. As soon as we gave up trying to meet up (we didnt have any of the teacher's phone numbers or anything and we were suppose to be there at 9:30 and around 10:30 we decided to go to el Escorial on our own) they found us and got on the train we had just bought tickets to. It worked out nicely. I was so exhausted from a long week, my feet were killing me only half way through this enormous castle and this combination led to me barely paying attention. Luckily, I was technically at work so I dont think it mattered. And if it did, oooops....





After the longest tour of my life, Ryan and I were starving and feeling near-death with exhaustion. The kids pulled out sandwiches from their bags and started eating in the courtyard. Recognizing this meant not eating until the bus got back to Collado Villalba, Ryan and I thanked the professors, said goodbye to everyone and headed off to find food. We stopped by the bus station first to confirm the schedule Rick Steves lists to get to the Valley of The Fallen- a memorial for the Spanish-Civil War. Sure enough, Rick was right- he is always right so we grabbed a pizza at this wonderful little Italian place across the street from the bus station. My pizza was tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, proscuitto and olive oil- best pizza ever! We bought our bus tickets, climbed abroad and were at the Valley of the Fallen fifteen minutes later.
This moment completely blew my mind. This huge valley full of trees on the side of the mountain with a huge cross and huge memorial. It reminded me of something like you'd see in Washington DC but this one was full of religious statues. Ironically, Franco and the father of Facism are buried there with the 50,000 Spanish who died in the war. Does that sit well with you? Because I was filled with the eeriest feeling walking through this huge place. The 30 foot angels of death/facism looking down on me didn't really help.
The bus route only runs one time from El Escorial to the Valley. We got on at 3:15, we get back on at 5:30. There is not 2 hours worth of things to do at this momument. Luckily, it was nice weather so Ryan and I sat in the sun and chatted overlooking this gorgeous valley and then I decided to take a little nap. I woke up at 5:10 and we decided to head over to the bus. We see a bus and laugh at how there are probably a total of 15 people at this thing. Next thing we know, its 5:20 and a huge group of students speaking German boards that bus and it takes off. At this moment, we realize, "uh oh, that clearly isnt our bus. where IS our bus? where are all the people we rode here with on that bus?" I start noticing there are only 2 cars in the entire parking lot and I am having visions of sleeping under a tree at this place. At 5:24 or so we start walking and realize we actually have no clue where we are or where we are suppose to be. We are lost and our one shot off of this mountain cliff is leaving in 5 minutes. Panic totally started to settle in when Ryan spotted the bus up this small hill. We started running and boarded the bus at 5:31. We didn't even sit down before the driver was already driving off the mountain. Talk about a close, close, close call. Glad we went! Really glad we didn't get stuck there.


1 comment:

  1. I love catching up on your adventures through this blog! I probably couldn't catch a bus in Atlanta - so proud of you! Love and prayers! Charlotte

    ReplyDelete