Thursday, October 29, 2015

Mimosas in the Sun



We got the news on Wednesday morning at 6am that we both passed the NY Bar!! Now we just have one more hurdle of paperwork to complete to pass the "moral character" portion of our application to the bar. We've already completed and passed the Ethics exam, and obviously the July exam was the biggest mountain to overcome. It's an incredible relief to have received this news and I have tremendous gratitude for so many of you that helped me accomplish it. I feel very emotional thinking about it. Thank you to those of you who fed me, helped me, encouraged me... All of it. Thank you the most for the prayers. God is good. Thank you. We did it. Together. 

All summer, my background on my computer was a Walt Disney quote, "it's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Sometimes at the end of a journey, it's easy to forget just how difficult the road was that got you there. This summer had a lot of dark days. I was doubtful, I was discouraged, I was beaten down. I was faced with memorizing literally thousands of laws. I wasn't scoring where I wanted to be; I wasn't improving like I thought I should. I had no gold star to show for my achievements even though I was working 10 hours a day. It was absurd. It was grueling. It was REALLY hard. 

The days leading up to July 28 and 29, I listened to "here comes the sun" about 2893748 times. The words "it's been a long, lonely winter... Here comes the sun, little darling, it's alright." I couldn't get over the irony of feeling that summer had actually been a long and lonely winter. But I had to hold on because the sun- the wedding, London, being an attorney- it was coming. 

Apparently, some study has been done where women polled overwhelmingly chose the Bar over pregnancy as the most stressful and painful thing they had ever endured. The women said they would do child birth again, but they would never repeat the bar. Besides that, you have a beautiful baby at the end when after the bar, all you have is 3+ months of second-guessing and insecurity. As Brian said, it would be like if on Christmas morning your parents said, "you know how you were really good for 3 years and you were always on the good list? Well, this year, you don't get any gifts. And all that time you were good was pretty much for nothing." 

Then, on top of THAT, I decided to have LASIK surgery. From which, I experienced very obnoxious and inconvenient complications. I also had wedding tasks that just had to be accomplished during our bar studying time. We also were trying to prepare the Atlanta house to go on the market. Oh, and, we had just moved from LA back to ATL and still had to prepare for our move to London. During the bar study months, it was impossible not to work on our visas, our flights, our honeymoon, etc. Literally, it was insane. And we did it. We did it. The wedding was beautiful and an amazing day. And now we are in London, settled in, employed, and we passed the bar exam. What?! I mean, what?! 

I catalog all of that to remember. To remember just how hard it was; and that if I can do it, you can. And that it really is "kind of fun" to do the impossible. The sun is here and it's shining and it's just lovely. 

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord! Oh my goodness I'm so proud of you. Woke up this morning and read this great news. "Here comes the sun," indeed! I know this is just the beginning of the great things God has planned. Love you and Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete