Monday, August 18, 2014

Living in Community


While I lived in Madrid, I had the pleasure of living in a beautiful apartment decorated in photos and collected items from all over the world in the heart of the city. I had the joy of walking to my classes each morning, and soaked up every second of hearing the city buzz, watching the people interact and feeling a completely rare joy in my daily commute. 

My old roommate and dear friend, Cande, and her boyfriend, along with the visits of several friends ensured the apartment was never empty. My first week there her brother was visiting, and overlapping with his visit was another friend. In the four weeks we were there together, it truly felt like a home. There was always a meal being prepared, someone doing laundry, something to discuss, and an open bottle of wine. I've had great roommates and I have great friends. I have two years of stories from living in the sorority house. But this apartment in Madrid was something else. It felt like truly living with a sister, everything is everyone's and all responsibilities are shared. One's burden is felt by all. I learned to cook new meals, I laughed until I cried sitting at my place at the the table, and I had days in the last few weeks where I did absolutely "nothing" at all except enjoy doing nothing. I have deep love for the people I met in Madrid, and great appreciation for all the things they've taught me. 

I leave Madrid sad. I know that a great year is ahead. I know that I have only one year left of law school and that I cannot just stay in Madrid forever. But July 2014 will be the month that I reminded myself of a great city where I truly feel at home. It went by too fast. I met new faces and spent delicious quality time with favorite faces. Certainly, some of my favorite memories were in Madrid's streets, and other favorites happened in that apartment.  I am already looking forward to the next time I chirp, "Hasta luego!" Because with Madrid, it is just that - "until later;" it is never goodbye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment