Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Running Wild

Beloved readers, a catch-up post is much overdue. As I never seriously intend to blog frequently while state-side, I recognize that living in California I am separated from many of whom I love the most, so I should be more serious about updating this page regularly.

What has happened since I left London?
I finished the semester, and headed back to Atlanta. Hang on for this whirlwind:
Saturday - London to Atlanta, Sunday- drive to Alabama, pick up Grey, drive back (almost 10 hours in the car), Monday - fly ATL to LAX followed by a surprise party with all my friends thrown by my sweet boyfriend. By Friday, I had signed a lease on a new place to live. We spent Christmas in Orange County on the beach and then I moved into my new place the next day.

It took a bit to get it all set up, and there is still a project or two left to complete, but overall I love living here. Since I have a job in downtown this summer, I needed to live somewhere half way between the city and school. I live on the edge of Santa Monica, where two streets over its technically LA. It's got a lot of character. In addition to my art, the art I've collected from travels, tons of pictures and furniture from our Atlanta house, its got Spanish tile throughout and new appliances and cabinetry. Anyways, it feels like home.

Over the holidays, I had several friends get engaged - including two of my closest friends so I am absolutely thrilled for them! One of my best friends in law school with me is pregnant, and another couple that I love just had a baby. It's a really fun time to be supporting them.

This semester, I am taking several classes and also doing a program where I am working with clients who are applying for Asylum in the US because they have been persecuted or have a fear of persecution if they are forced to return to their country. It takes up a lot of time, but is incredible work. The first few weeks, we worked with one family on their case and it was granted! Lots of stress, hard work- totally paid off! It's great to know we helped make a huge difference in their lives, and they no longer have to fear for their lives. Now, we are working on another case and preparing for a trial that will be held in March.

For Christmas, my beau surprised me with concert tickets for the next five months. Our January concert was a band from Nashville called Moon Taxi that put on a great show. Our February concert is Greg Laswell, a very chill singer-songwriter. We go tomorrow, so I am excited! Dad and I also had a particularly wonderful opportunity to go VIP to the Eagles, which was incredible.

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. I haven't had any revelations yet as an old and wise 25 year old, but you'll be the first to be informed of one.  My actual birthday was spent working all day, and I was in a trial courtroom for trail practice and preparation until 9:30.

But the night before, Brian had taken me on a wonderful sushi dinner right on the ocean in Malibu. Then, the day after my birthday, we headed to a favorite wine-bar for "Wine Wednesdays." Then on Sunday, about twenty of my friends braved the cold California weather (it was 60 degrees) to hang out at a winery in the Malibu mountains. The drive up there weaved through the canyon, looking down on the ocean and was really beautiful. On our way back, the stunning Pacific was in our right lane. We had a huge picnic, lots of great food and company and tried a few different very creative wines like Orange Muscat and Pinot Noir Rose.




The spring semester is off to a great start, and there's a lot more excitement to come!

"Oh, I'm asking why can't we live tonight? 
We are running out of time. 
Just for now, we could come undone with the rising sun. 
Oh, oh, running wild. 
So, drink it in." 
-Moon Taxi, Running Wild 

1 comment:

  1. I'm soooo happy you had a wonderful bday. You looked gorgeous, as always. I wish a had more opportunities to dress as fancy as you. hahaha

    We couldn't talk for your bday, busy girl, but let's arrange a call for the weekend. Si?

    te quieroooo y extrañooo
    cande

    ReplyDelete