Sunday, November 10, 2013

The California Effect

After a year of living in California, I am heightened to seeing it absolutely everywhere while I am abroad. I see t-shirts walk past me with a colorful sketch and cursive Malibu letters and think, "I go to school there." Tshirts from UCLA or Santa Monica are common too. 

Yesterday, I was on the treadmill at the gym and I observed a student walk onto the treadmill next to me, and select "Los Angeles Run" on her screen as she put her headphones into her ears. I couldn't help but glance over as she was running next to me to see her screen lighting up with images of Palm trees, Venice beach, the Hollywood sign, sidewalk with stars... Incredible! 

It's challenging for people other than Americans to understand that Americans can be from all over the place. So when strangers or new friends ask a group of us (Pepperdine students), "Where are you from?" instead of participating in an ordeal of "I'm from Atlanta, he's from Boston, she's from Michigan, he's from Pittsburg and she's from California... but we all live and go to school in California now." We have deduced this process to "we are from California." One reaction was particularly remarkable when he swooned as if Angelina Jolie had just given him a kiss on the cheek. This is the California effect. Igniting envy in a stranger at the very words- I live in California. Yes, the same one in the movies. THAT Los Angeles. Yes.

Indeed, by many definitions of the word "from," we are from California. I've always battled this question. Where did I come from, as in where was I before London- Rwanda. Some people answer this question with where they were born. Texas. Where have you lived the most amount of time? Georgia. Where do you live now? London. Where am I going back to after London? California. 
Where do you call home? All of these places. 

This is always the time of year that I get homesick. And by homesick, I mean sick for HOME. Interestingly, more and more that seems to be some place between Atlanta and York, Alabama. It's very much both of those places. And it's very much where the people that I hold dearest to me are- which these days is just about all over the world. This only becomes challenging when they gather in one place and I have the worst "fear of missing out" pain in my chest, just burning to be there, with them, at home. As this past weekend was the LSU game in Tuscaloosa, many of my favorite people in the world were in some of my favorite places in the world. And I wanted more than anything to be right there with them. 

But this is the best part about being so far- when I do come home (to any of those homes) to those people, it's going to be the sweetest. It's going to be the best. It's a reunion that makes all the distance and time dissipate completely, and it will be a long series of the tightest of embraces. And for one second I just may whisper that I will not leave again. Although I know that this is something I incessantly chase- and to get it, to truly learn and to discover more of yourself, you just absolutely have to leave home. 


37 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment