Monday, October 14, 2013

chuffed

Yellowhammers in Scotland? Yes please. 

Ross scrunching down about three feet to be my height

Castle Edinburgh 

Overlooking Edinburgh

tell me that's not exactly how you always pictured Scotland...



A few weekends ago, I had the pleasure of visiting a friend in Scotland. I know Ross through my little sister in the sorority, and we haven't seen each other since 2011. Ross is from a little village outside of Edinburgh but studied at "uni" in Aberdeen, where he is still living and working. I can't tell you how spoiled I was to have a weekend completely immersed in the great people that live in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. I was welcomed with such warmth, had a lucky streak of great weather and laughed hysterically all weekend. Thursday night, I flew into Aberdeen. All day Friday we explored a castle, had a great lunch along the harbor and collected supplies to make Yellowhammers (the delicious signature drink of my favorite bar in Tuscaloosa). Yellowhammers were the key ingredient to a birthday party for Ross' little brother that night. Saturday, Ross, his best friend from high school and I drove into Edinburgh. After walking the streets of Edinburgh's city center, we headed to Ross' hometown- a picturesque Scottish village with sheep and green pastures for as far as the eye could see.

On the train back on Sunday, I left feeling I had met great people and enjoyed a completely authentic Scottish experience. The country has so much to offer. I am so grateful to Ross, for being such a phenomenal friend and letting me crash his weekend plans. It's certainly been a highlight of my year. I got to watch Alabama football on Saturday night with a KAO koozie on my beer. I learned excellent English phrases and words that Americans should adopt. Ross and friends are hilarious, and had me laughing until my stomach hurt multiple times. I was the shortest person for miles. It was an absolutely delightful weekend and I'm indebted to all who helped make it happen. Can't wait to host the Scots in Tuscaloosa, Atlanta, York, Los Angeles, London or wherever I happen to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment