Sunday, March 4, 2012

people I love in my daily life here

I thought this week instead of a post about my week, I would do things a little differently and let you get to know some of the people I interact with regularly.

two cleaning ladies- these two ladies are always chatting me up at JF (the high school where I work on Tuesday and Thursday). one has a daughter with plans to go spend a few months in Massachusettes. we've yet to communicate what city but she always asks if there are gangsters there with guns. every time I assure her no and that there are dangerous areas in every city but that I'm sure whatever city in "MasssaaaaCHUUUshhiitts" she's going, it will be safe there. one day I revealed I will be going to law school next year and they now think I'm just below celebrity status. when I explained I didn't know where I would be living but maybe NYC or LA, they kept repeating back and forth, "we know a New Yprk lawyer!!" uhh, not yet ladies but you can come visit me if that's what I end up being. they also mention coming to visit my office with a window over looking the statue of liberty every time I run into them. they speak so fast and while cleaning/mopping/etc, gossip pours out of their mouths. it seems like their main job is running the rumor mill and spreading the most controversial news. they must be good friends because they even carpool to an from school together. I love them.

Two ladies who look like sisters at LC (the Monday and Wednesday high school)- these women wow me every time I see them. there are maybe five or six disabled students at LC. I have two in my classes. one of whom can get around with her walker remarkably well though it appears as if each step is a struggle. she's smart and participates in class. the other disabled student I have is pretty "rough off" (even though even that seems terrible to say). he really has extreme difficulties communicating in Spanish and relies completely on someone else pushing his wheelchair and collecting his things. one woman tends to him full time all day. she miraculously understands him when I can't even make out that he is saying words. her patience and soul are solid gold. it appears to be her sister who does this for another one of the disabled boys. I thank God for them daily because I don't know if those boys can.

Silvia- my boss at LC- it sucks that I don't get to see her that often every time we speak it's incredible. she's an absolutely wonderful woman and I hate that I work every afternoon and I can't spend hours chatting at her house with a homemade meal. she is funny, she's always asking about my life, she worries about me when I have dark bags under my eyes and she would do anything for me.

The teachers at JF- Carmen is absolutely the sweetest, kindest, most soft spoken woman I have ever met. our schedules coincide so we have two hours where we are both in the department free grading and making lessons so we chat often. I told her I wasn't sleeping well and the next day, she had brought me these herbs that help her. she's simply wonderful. Pilar, gave me the vitamin C out of her purse one day when she said I looked like I was getting sick. she's from Sevilla and her accent, although subtle, reminds me of the hundreds of amazing memories I have in that beautiful city. Estrella is this ball of energy. she always jokes that her bottle of water is full of gin because the students would drive her past insanity otherwise. she's hilarious and always telling some huge story or flailing her arms around when she's talking about basically anything. I love her. anthony calls me speedy Gonzalez because I talk so fast. Ana is super super pregnant and looks like she may have her baby any day now. she's also super sweet and great. she's eats tortilla everyday for breakfast and I just love that. she's wonderful. and then theres marta. marta replaced a teacher who left on maternty leave in january. then, her husbands cancer came back. a week or two later, he died. a week agter yhe funeral, she was back at school. i can see her fragilty in her eyes and i see a bit of myself only someone who has experienced such a grave loss can recognize. every time we speak, i think, this must be what i use to look like. she is so strong and brave and must feel like working is the only reason why she would ever leave her bed. she was back working within a week of the funeral. there is a phrase in spanish that can only there are 11 total and I don't dislike any of them, but those are my favorites.

Cande- my roommate from Argentina- Living with someone I like has made a huge, huge difference in my life here, especially when I lay around the apartment for three straight days. Cande and I get along really well, she is an amazing cook and we offer to make dinner then split it a lot. she briefly mentioned she was thinking of moving and i was terrified. i would be really sad and lonely without her here. she's introduced me to some of her friends here and we always have a good time when we go out together. she is a great listener and a great advice giver. we've got a lot in common and i think shes one of the only blessings thats come out of living in this apartment. well, her and the brazilian that i love that moved out.


Gab- Gabriel lived with Cande and I when we first all moved in but then he found a cheaper place and moved out in november. we have stayed in close touch and still get together abotu once a week or so. gab is studying his masters in intellectual property now after getting his law degree in brazil. he is hilarious and so incredibly smart. i can tell him anything and we can talk about anything. anytime we get together is a pleasure.


Melania- wow, Melania blows my mind. shes running around crazy all the time because shes teaching as an auxiliar and also doing a masters program. she speaks four languages and always has something wonderful to say that you need to hear. shes simply one of the purest and most incredible people i have ever met. we had great adventures traveling to hungary and portugal together and im so sad that we cant travel together every weekend because shes so busy but i am so lucky to have her to encourage me to do everything i want to do and that life is too short to just sit around. shes such an inspiration!


One thing is for sure, I will miss these people when I have left here and I am determined to make the very most of the next few months of memories with them! I am grateful to be surrounded by amazing people and that these friends are just a special layer on top of great US friendships. I am already looking forward to the people I will meet in law school too!

No comments:

Post a Comment